Thursday, April 3, 2008

Reflections on nine years.

Today is mine and Andy's ninth anniversary. It has been quite a ride. I'm pretty impressed with nine years, especially since it seems like we just got married yesterday. I have had a great time being married to Andy. It hasn't been without it's bumps in the road but we have weathered it all together.
Just to give a few examples, right before our second anniversary Andy's father had a heart transplant. Katie was born in January a week after she was born Frank went into the hospital not to come out again until he had a heart. At the end of March Frank got a heart. Andy was at the hospital at least four nights a week while his Dad was there. You can probably imagine what a stressful time it was for us. Andy visiting his Dad and being concerned for his Mom and his Sister traveling back and forth to the hospital. Me at home with an infant who for some reason despised the hospital. I'm serious as soon as we would pass the fountain in front of Carolina's Medical Center she would start screaming so what time I did get to see Frank my Mom or Emily sat in the lobby with Katie so I could go up.
Then, While I was pregnant with Emma, Andy went back to school to get his Masters Degree. He got it when she was about 8 months old. For any of you who have done the school thing with a spouse and then thrown kids in on top of that you know how hard that is.
We had a few years of smooth sailing during which we had Nathan. Nathan was a perfect baby. The kind that makes you scared to have another baby because he couldn't possibly be as easy going as Nathan.
Along came Ian, who is a joy and a delight but comes with his own set of challenges. Most of you know that Ian was born with some health problems. He was in the NICU for a week after he was born. Unlike when Frank was sick this was a crisis in our own nebular family. The decisions that were made were all Andy and I. The outcome would most closely affect us and our children. We felt this responsibility when the other kids were born, sure but not to this extent. It was really hard to watch Ian struggle but it was a great feeling to know that Andy and I were in this together. That he cared about our little boy as much as I did. A few nights after Ian went to Charlotte we got a room in the Hospitality House at Presbyterian hospital. They gave us a family room because we were a married couple. There was a set of bunk beds and a single bed in the room. Andy and I slept on the bottom bunk of the bunk beds because we couldn't stand the idea of being so far away from each other and we both need the comfort of the others nearness.
As you all know Ian is great now he is a thriving two year old who is one of the bright spots in our days.
I guess its true what they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And closer to each other and to God if you will let it.
Now nine years have also brought us many blessings. We have had two houses, numerous vehicles, four wonderful children, continued education and success in business. We also have the support of friends and family. I know all of you loving and praying for us has helped make this marriage a success.
We still work on our marriage and I'm sure we always will. I got some criticism for getting married at nineteen. People said "don't you want to travel and play and experience life before you settle down?" I said to them that there was nothing I wanted to do in my life that I wanted to do without Andy. I'm happy to say that I still feel that way today.
Andy I know you appreciate me being frugal so this blog is my anniversary card to you. I hope you always know that I wouldn't want to be anyone but your wife and the mother to our children. I love you, Babe.

3 comments:

Drew said...

Since I admire you so much for being frugal, I hope that you can accept this lovely response as an anniversary card filled with love and 12 dozens roses.

It has been a bumpy, yet wonderful ride the last nine years. I can't wait to see what the next nine years (and beyond) hold for us.

Happy Anniversary! Love you, Babe.

Unknown said...

I hope your anniversary was great!!

Joy Bruza said...

Congrats to you! Now, post again for goodness sake:) I've posted twice since we talked last, and thats saying something. Love you bunches. See you soon.